Saturday, August 13, 2011

sweet dreams

This week was my very first zone conference! i was so excited .zone conference is a day where all the missionaries in your area gather together and have the president of the mission teach for a whole day.* ps it totally comes complete with taco salad and many smiles :) so something that I really got out of this particularly was the importance of prayer especially on your knees .president talked about kneeling as a sign of submission and of obedience and how important personal prayer is. Well I have a confession I have a tendency to pray whilst I am laying on my bed which prayers generally lead to accidental sleepage. So when president said this I felt a little pang of guilt permeate through me. So when I got home that evening I was absolutely reconciled that I was going to show my father in heaven the respect that he deserved by opening my heart in genuine supplication to him. now I love being a missionary however something that has been really disheartening is that I have been having nightmares really frequently and although i can deal with it makes my early missionary mornings somewhat of a drag. So I went about my nightly rituals of brushing my teeth and so forth then I got in to bed and then remembered what i had wanted to do .I then dragged myself out of bed and knelt next to my bed and began to pray and all though I thought that after praying numerous times during the day that I would have nothing to really say or ask for however when I opened my mind to the promptings of the spirit I found my mind filled with gratitude and needs that needed to be addressed .but one of things that came to my mind was to pray that I would have good dreams and be able to feel peace from the slumber I had .so with very little more thought on the subject I laid in bed and fell asleep immediately and had a dream that my best friend Hannah came and saw me on my mission and was here serving with me .long story short I woke up with a smile on my face and a bounce in my step and when I rolled over and put the little black dot on my called to serve calendar I felt as though each day would now be easier if I would pray more because just like the hymn says "I need thee every hour" and I am so glad that my heavenly father is always waiting for me to figure these things out and help me though .
 So some quick tips top stay awake:
In the word of John Bytheway “if you can’t pray on your knees without falling asleep pray standing”
Pray with the light on
Know what you want to say before you start
Bow your head but don’t lay your head on the floor or bed
I promise that if you pray sincerely at the end of each day you will be blessed  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sister Meister, I've found your blog!! I hope you had a great day with the visitors today. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts, especially this one on prayer, thank you for the reminder. We are getting ready for FHE, but I will check in later. Your blog is lovely, did you get any Nutella from mum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, this is not Andrew. So if you click on his name, you won't get to any blog. My blog address is:6fishtank.blogspot.com

    YOu will see a photo you took of our family in front of the Grandin Bookstore, and you will know who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sister Meister! I so enjoyed being on your first tour of the Peter Whitmer farm last week. You have a beautiful spirit and you were so sweet and charming. I gave away my first Book of Mormon to a close friend of mine in NJ on Monday. I was being a member missionary last week and was very encouraged by your missionary efforts. Blessings on you and remember to always bring the love of the One Who Loved Most to everyone and they can't help but be uplifted.
    Shari Graham

    ReplyDelete